Monday, January 25, 2010

What is Style

"I'm not a fashion person. I'm anti-fashion. I don't like to be part of that world. It's too transient. I have never been influenced by it. I'm interested in longevity, timelessness, style - not fashion." - Ralph Lauren

It's always more important to be slightly overdressed than underdressed. Last Saturday I attended my cousin's engagement party. The invitation contained no dress requirements, but of course I wasn't expecting a casual affair. The invite did, however, mention dancing and an evening start time.

My point is this. Style isn't about simply looking good. Style is about feeling good while looking good. Engagement parties can be awkward enough when you're among the next in line to get married. Functionality in one's wardrobe will always allow personality to take the forefront over the look of one's outfit. Therefore, I came to the party in very comfortable yet stylish brogues and a pima cotton sweater, instead of a merino wool one.

The shots will get better - more clothing, less me. The whole look cost under $100. Thanks to thrift shops and taste among other things, style is never about money.



Shirt: Polo ($15.50)
Tie: Briar ($1.00)
Sweater: Express ($19.50)



Trousers: Polo ($44.99)
Socks: Merona ($5.00/3)
Shoes: Allen Edmonds ($2.99)

Grand Total: $85.65


5 comments:

  1. Nice quote to start things off.

    I keep looking at that shirt/sweater/tie combo, I think you managed to pull off the triple pattern, a task none-too-easy.

    Are your Allen Edmonds the Lloyd model? If so, I have the same pair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. One of my upcoming posts will focus on proportion. The AEs are Marlow. Though I'm pretty sure I have the Lloyd as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tie and the shirt work together.

    The tie and the sweater work together.

    The shirt and the sweater don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "too dressed up" question arose among women bloggers this week, too. I think you are RIGHT ON!

    I like your communication style and thrift shopping ways! This whole post sums up my "phashion philosophy" better than I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon - I agree, the blue from the shirt could be darker to better match the sweater. Normally I don't get into quite so bold pattern mixing but I went for it this time.

    Rebecca - Thanks so much for the comment! I can't wait to develop my ideas in future posts.

    ReplyDelete