Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Problem with Prep


... and by prep, I mean Unabashedly Prep. Sure I stop over on occasion for a good laugh and because, honestly, Castleberry is actually a great photographer. But in reading over comments on a recent post, I became disgusted with Castleberry's disregard for his audience. Here you go...

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/16/2012 at 7:05 PM:
@Joey Dee—Unabashedly Prep was never designed nor conceptualized to serve as a forum for critiquing individuals’ personal style. This isn’t “Hot or Not” or better yet “Prep or Not.” That’s not what this is.
What Unabashedly Prep is, and has always been, is a platform to share my stylistic point of view, display my professional work (a reflection of my stylistic point of view), and display an appreciation for other’s style I’m drawn to.
Unabashedly Prep’s success or failure does not hinge on a thriving commentary in the comments section. Its success or failure hinges on the relevance and quality of the content.
@AEV—You want me to create a full week’s worth of me dressing in a truly trad/preppy manner? Firstly, there are several blogs in my links section that do just that (A Daily Prep, An Affordable Wardrobe, The Trad). Secondly, why do you want me to create an entire week of me dressing in a truly trad/preppy manner when you claim to know it all? Are you hoping to learn something? Hoping to be inspired? I think you are afraid I’m giving this “prep” you know and love a bad name. All I can give you is what I appreciate about the “prep” I know and love. 


I realize Unabashedly Prep has a massive readership, but that readership's continued interest and input are what have given the blog its commercial success. Without a thriving commentary, readers wouldn't keep flocking to the site and the sponsors wouldn't be there. The most unnerving thing about this is the censorship of comments. Several times I have left constructive criticism of Castleberry's outfits, only to find certain words or entire sentenced edited out. If this guy hopes to give us what he appreciates about the prep he knows and loves by protecting his sponsors, he's not displaying the unconventional originality and freedom that prep embodies.

7 comments:

  1. Many of those running the more popular blogs often forget that they are famous because of others, not because of themselves. This whole, "I'm created my environment" is generally a bunch of bull. Style isn't about living in NY, however much they would like to believe so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. Your own style and perspective can only carry you so far. Castleberry gets defensive about his thinly-veiled advertorials, acting as if nearly any dissenting opinion is not valid.

      Delete
  2. Castleberry lives in Texas... not NYC. 'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize this, and location is of no consequence to me. I care about the integrity of a blogger to accept criticism and learn from it.

      Delete
    2. Integrity.... and humility are missing on 'Unabashedly Prep'. The attitude in his comments and the general self promotion are very off-putting. I don't bother visiting his site anymore because it's one less tick of traffic he can market to advertisers.

      Delete
  3. totally agree about these bloggers who get free products or money for "trying out" or promoting a product. castleberry does it, muffie aldrich does it, etc. you can tell something is up when all of a sudden the blogs just happen to push a particular product (ie. kiel james patrick nautical bracelets or a cordial churchman's bowties). give me a freakin' break. one blogger who has come out and really made it clear that a product was given to him to try out etc is an affordable wardrobe and this blog reader appreciated his forthrightness.

    PS: Scott, keep up the good work on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Castleberry is just so, what's the word, fake? Kind of trying too hard to be hip. There's none of that nonchalance or, as the Italians say "sprezzatura", that make you think this guy is the real deal. For example, ADG over at Maxminimus just has it. Sure, he's a dandy but that man has style and he's not "putting on airs". Castleberry, and his crew like Kiel James Patrick, etc, are just trying so hard. Not trying so hard to show you how hip and cool they are that your "fraud meter" just lights up. YWP's recent post "5 Steps To Being Stylish And Awesome!" captured the essence of Castleberry and his poseur ilk when in step 5 YWP writes:

    5. Stand in an awkward position that looks horribly unnatural. Pretend the camera "caught you off-guard".

    ReplyDelete