Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Few Reliables and a Few Surprises

I had some extra time before class today to hit the two big thrift shops in town. They're usually good for a couple ties and polos, as seen below. However, today I was excited to find two red/navy striped bow ties. Given the rarity of finding a bow tie around here, I couldn't resist. These seem to be at least thirty years old, but what I'm more struck by is how narrow these things are - less than an inch wide. After looking at photo archives I can't find a single bow tie quite like these. Any ideas on the era? I've always preferred butterfly style, but I can't wait to try these out!


Average find...
Shirt: l/s Polo ($2.99)
Shirt: s/s Polo ($2.69)



Good find...
Sweater: lambswool Polo ($2.00)


Great find...
Pocket Square: Japanese silk, hand-rolled ($0.25)
Pocket Square: Japanese silk, hand-rolled ($0.25)



Simply Surprising find...
Tie: New England Collection ($1.00)
Tie: Churchill Collection ($1.00)
Bow Tie: London Beau ($1.00)
Bow Tie: London Beau ($1.00)

Grand Total: $12.18

2 comments:

  1. Bowties are always incredibly difficult to come by, I'd say that by finding two you hit it big!

    Those polo lambswool sweaters are perfect, I much prefer it to cashmere. I like how it's just ever so slightly rough, yet still soft enough to not irritate you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lambswool sweaters are perfect for the cold weather here. The have such a classic appeal. I have an orange v-neck that I wear all the time.

    ReplyDelete