Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Gentlemen Brits

Just discovered a few good photos from an old British GQ article. I appreciate the overall aesthetic of this first outfit but a few things are off for me.
No baseball cap - driving cap instead.
No American Flag on jacket sleeve - however the tartan lining is a plus.
No socks - such a thick cardigan mandates socks.
No button-down collar - no complaints here, I love the occasional club collar.


Now, on to the the better selections.

Who cares if you play cricket or tennis? Whether you call the sweater the former or the latter, it's an essential piece for year-round use. Polo, Brooks and Smart Turnout come out with nice several styles each year. I prefer cotton over wool, because the thick weave will provide plenty of warmth.


The other gent wears a Fair Isle knit. True Fair Isle sweaters may be had for a fair price, but I seem to find them quite often at quite reasonable prices on eBay.

Other notable pieces here - the bow tie and driving cap.

Next up? Nice trousers and an interesting scarf. Moving on.

Oh, and if you've played neither cricket nor tennis, you should try. I love cricket despite it's steep learning curve, but tennis is one of those sports you don't have to be good at to enjoy. I hope to serve up (excuse me) more tennis posts this summer.

Again, moving on.

This fellow appears to have back troubles, but at least he's dressed well. Of course I've saved my favorite look for last, one that could come straight from my closet. Subtract the superfluous waistcoat, switch sneakers to brogues and you have something that works for most gents from autumn to spring.

And I must mention my love of the patchwork tweed driving cap. I'm still fishing for one on winter clearance somewhere.

The first five constructive commenters will receive 40% off a purchase of three items or more at the CKC Shoppe.

I hope everyone enjoys the new layout. Have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment