Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Trifecta

Inspired by YWP's latest post on Boxing the Compass, I decided to go through the archives and take a look at combinations of color, pattern (and proportion), and texture.

Tattersall oxford button-down
Plaid seersucker bow tie
Silk cable knit crewneck sweater




When combining these things effectively, you can create a daring look that will certainly turn heads.

Plaid broadcloth button-down
Stripe seersucker tie
Cotton cable knit sweater vest







 
Those turned heads might not necessarily be positive, as a learning curve exists and on your best days one thing might still be off.

Banker stripe broadcloth spread
Pin-dot tie
Cricket vest





However, sometimes you'll get it right and know it. I'm not saying all these examples are spot-on, but they beat the standard white point-collar and dark tie.

Micro-gingham poplin button-down
Foulard tie
Cotton cable knit sweater vest
 
The first step is finding a color scheme. At least two colors need pair well before adding a contrast color.

Micro-gingham poplin button-down
Madras tie
Pima sweater vest

The next step is to consider the proportions of opposing patterns. Vary the sizes of those patterns to create visual interest, especially when using more than two patterns.

Linen-wool button-down
Repp stripe silk-wool tie
Argyle wool sweater vest
Never use more than four patterns, including those found in a jacket and socks. You don't want to look like a drunk college prepster who dressed in the dark. (I've seen this look far too many times.)

Stripe oxford button-down
Madras tie
Pima sweater vest
When considering texture, address fabric weight and sheen, then occasion and season. Subtle differences in a fabric's feel and depth draw people to take a third glance at your outfit (after the second coming from your use of color and pattern).

Tattersall spread collar
Jacquard/repp stripe tie
Pima sweater vest




It's taken me some time to feel at ease with these concepts, but I've learned from the best - Alan Flusser, Edward VIII, and my father. Remember, personal style is always a work in progress, and you can check out the CKC's first post to hear my story.

5 comments:

  1. My original comment must have been lost in cyber-space. This post is one for the ages, and you have outdone my original post, ol' boy. Very well done, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YWP - My humble thanks, but I still prefer your post. There seems to be a commenting problem across Blogspot, as I've heard of several people having their comments just disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of daring combos here, but I have to say that they all work smashingly. I'm especially loving the pastel pairings with the madras, and rocking them with the v-neck sweaters only shows that madras (at least in the tie form) isn't just a one-season fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mister - Thanks a lot. I think madras can work almost any time if the tones are right. I'll have to do a post on my madras stuff soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All four of those look fantastic! You match them up nicely. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete