Sunday, December 4, 2011

Muppets

I took my little cousin to see the new Muppet movie today. As a guy who grew up on Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, the Muppets and other Jim Henson works (yes, I realize Henson didn't create Sesame Street), I went straight back to childhood bliss. It's so wonderful to see the efforts of Jason Segel pay off in what turned out to be a very touching tribute. The iconic characters were well-honored, and rarely seen Muppets made a humorously joyful comeback. As Segel pointed out in several interviews promoting the film, over a decade had passed since the last Muppet movie. An entire generation of kids passed from birth to adolescence without Kermit and the gang. Given the truly deplorable state of kids' television today, I pray this new movie is only the beginning and the Muppets make a comeback in a big way. I could go on and on about my feelings here, but I'll refrain in hopes to hear any Muppet memories you may have. 


So often we seem to lose the greatest artists too soon. I just discovered this sketch from the time of Jim Henson's passing, showing Mickey consoling Kermit.

No comments:

Post a Comment