Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Blazing in Blue and Yellow

Never go out in spring before checking the weather report. The spring weather here is predictably unpredictable, and last week I went to an outdoor press conference wearing this outfit. That morning, the temperature was 55 Fahrenheit. When the conference started, it was 86 Fahrenheit.


I would've taken off the sweater but I arrived just before the conference began and my work was at the center of the discussion, meaning I was stuck standing next to the speaker at the podium. My point though - dressing properly is not limited to picking the right sizes and colors. This time of year, cloth type and thickness should always be considered. Pima cotton, linen and silk should be in circulation with any wool, angora and cashmere (except fine-gauge) in storage.


Though warm as I was, I certainly stand behind my choices overall. The light blue in my shirt, tie, and socks bring unity to the look. Though not too clear in this photo, these pants also have a slate-blue tone. Good color choice. They're also a cotton-wool blend. Bad weather choice.


I can't go without my Johnston & Murphy loafers.


What's your worst sartorial mishap?

Whether or not. Weather the storm.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I definitely like the outfit even if the material left you uncomfortable. I suppose that's why the older gents are so particular about the weight and weave of the cloth in their garment. I collect this was a pretty casual press conference so I'm sure it worked well. I've made some pretty bad sartorial mistakes over the years, but I never really regret them; I just use them to further my understanding of what works best in any given situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my worst was a couple years ago. It was a semi-groggy (not hungover, mind you), dark winter morning and I tossed on my clothes in haste as I was running late for work.

    I got to the office before I realized I was wearing a different shoe (both black, fortunately) on each foot.

    Fortunately I was lodged at my desk most of the morning and was able to fix the mistake with a trip home for lunch.

    Doh!

    ReplyDelete