Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Power of Pink

The attention drawn by a man wearing pink is never to be underestimated. In fact, this outfit just played a large part in the first impression made at my new job. I went in for an interview last week and the first thing said to me was "I love your vest. Pink is a great color on you." The interview went extremely well and I was just hired as a keyholder (assistant manager/sales associate), working part-time until I graduate in December.


Were this a traditional interview for career opportunity, I would have gone with more proper dark blues and reds. However, for a job in clothing retail I trusted myself to be bold and make a strong impression with pink. Also, the interview occurred on a rainy day and I thought the color choice would brighten the moods of the interviewers.


I decided to ground the outfit with the blue shirt and blue-striped tie. While I would have liked to step up the prep-factor with green instead of blue, I certainly didn't want to go too far.

I just picked up these pink socks on sale from Ralph. The two-pack came with these and another pink pair with green and black argyle.


Though what makes the bigger statement, pink or orange?

Don't just pop the collar. Pop the color.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I mentioned to a female friend that I had recently ordered a pair of pink shorts from Orvis and she seemed disconcerted. Any there any cases where a man may carry the color pink too far? Thanks for your support.

    ~H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new job! I'm glad to hear you don't play it safe (i.e., dress boring) like all other job candidates hoping not to offend anyone. A dash of color can help you stand out from the crowd.

    Pink is an undervalued color for men. If you have the guts, the rewards are well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon - Thanks and hopefully you'll enjoy my new post.

    Alan - Thanks, I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to see you decided to make a splash at the new job by showing some color! Some businesses would expect you to blend in, but I don't think you would want to work there anyway. Pink is definitely the bigger statement, and carried off well enough it can definitely put you in a different category from anyone else.

    ReplyDelete