Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Questions From the Audience - Shoes

I started thrifting recently but I'm yet to find any decent shoes. I'm good on my clothing brands but I'm not sure what to look for in old shoe brands. Any suggestions?
Premium British labels include Crockett & Jones, John Lobb, and Edward Green. Other top Euro brands include Ferragamo, Gucci, Mezlan, Bally and Bruno Magli. Allen Edmonds and Alden from any era are unbeatable. Vintage Cole Haan and Johnston & Murphy made in either the USA or Italy are very nice as well. Vintage Florsheim, Dexter, Bass, and Bostonian are solid, if made a few decades ago. With the exceptions of Allen Edmonds, Alden and a handful of other companies, many of America's legendary shoe makers have either closed or have exported production. In the latter case, prices have continued to rise while quality drops. If you can't find any shoes of great quality at your local thrift, be patient. If you're looking for something in particular, search eBay before ever considering buying at full retail.

In my time thrifting I've walked away from great finds without realizing it, only to do some research back at home to discover I missed something rare and valuable. Do your homework on company histories, logos, shoe production and leather types. You'll save lots of time in the long run and walk away with the best deals.

No comments:

Post a Comment